1. Principal Architect, Alternative Design Associates, 1995-present; 1979-1991
Stevens Point, Wisconsin USA
Owner and principal architect of private architectural firm specializing in energy-efficient construction methods
and restoration of historic structures. Responsibilities included:
- Complete project management from client contact and business development, through project
design, preparation of construction documents, and construction supervision;
- Development and use of detailed energy-conserving construction methods, utilizing advanced techniques, materials
and sustainable-energy systems.
- Detailed historical research of significant structures, preparation of documentation for nomination to the U.S.
National register of Historic Places, and preparation of federally-approved historic renovation/restoration designs
for federal rehabilitation tax-credit purposes.
2. Associate Lecturer, University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point, 1999-present
Division of Interior Architecture, Stevens Point, Wisconsin USA
- Part-time instruction in the areas of Environmental Design & Interior Design
3. Consultant Architect, World Bank (IBRD), 1993-1994
Maputo, Mozambique, Africa
- Participated as a member of a pre-appraisal mission for a credit involving the construction/renovation
of selected health facilities.
4. International Electoral Observer, United Nations Operations-Mozambique (ONUMOZ), 1994
5. Architect/Project Coordination, United Nations Development Program/UNV, 1991-1995 GEPE - Ministry of Education
Republic of Mozambique, Africa
- Responsible for providing technical assistance, management and implementation support
to the Government of Mozambique, in cooperation with World Bank and African Development Bank staff and consultants,
for a US $30 Million civil works project involving new school construction, renovation of existing schools and
construction of university buildings. Responsibilities included:
- Preparation of, and training of Government personnel in the use of, model computer-based English-language documents
for pre-qualification of consultants & construction firms, invitation & terms of reference for consultant
services, evaluation of consultant proposals & construction bid proposals, and contracts for consultant services
& construction projects;
- Adaptation of World Bank standard documents for use in procurement of consultant services and construction tenders,
preparation of terms of reference for required consultant services and construction projects, and translation from
Portuguese to English of model technical specifications for construction projects;
- Evaluation of architectural designs, consultant proposals, and construction tenders.
- Preparation and updating of long-term project implementation workplans and scheduling, including phasing and
- Evaluation, analysis and preparation of reports related to ongoing project implementation, financial implications,
and recommended modifications and/or improvement strategies.
- Development of, and training in use of, computer databases for management of multiple-phased consultant and construction
- Participation in World Bank and African Development Bank project evaluation missions, on-site project evaluations
and project-planning/programming site visits.
Experienced in the application, training, and use of the following computer software
programs: MS Office, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access, MS Powerpoint, MS Project, VectorWorksCAD, PaintShopPro, Adobe
Acrobat Professional, Windows.
6. Energy Instructor, Mid-State Tech. College - Stevens Point, Wisconsin, 1979-1984
7. Design Instructor, UW-SP Interior Design - Stevens Point, Wisconsin, 1985-1986
8. Engineering Staff, City of Stevens Point - Stevens Point, Wisconsin, 1977-1979
9. Staff Architect, Gray Smith Associates - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1975-1976
10. Staff Architect, Architects Workshop - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1974-1975
11. VISTA Architect, Architects Workshop - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1973-1974
12. VISTA Architect, Rural Missouri, Inc. - Mississippi County, Missouri, 1972-1973
13. Architect-in-Schools, Wisconsin Arts Board - Stevens Point, Wisconsin, 1980-1989
Bachelor of Architecture, Professional 5-Year Degree, 1972
Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C. USA
Registered Architect: Wisconsin (active), Pennsylvania (inactive), District of Columbia (inactive) USA
U.S. national architectural certification: National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB)
Passive Solar Collector, a Trombe' wall commercial retrofit guide, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
Ludlow I&II, a neighborhood analysis & redevelopment implementation plan, Philadelphia.
Gateway To The Pineries, an architectural/historical guide to downtown Stevens Point.
Author of several articles in internationally-circulated magazines and trade publications.
Other Activities & Awards:
Frequent presenter at regional, national and international conferences related to sustainable design and energy-efficient
Recipient of several national competitive Design Awards for energy-efficient construction methods.
Member of Energy Efficient Building Association (EEBA), Wisconsin Green Building Alliance (WGBA), Midwest Renewable
Energy Association (MREA), National Trust for Historic Preservation (NTHP).